21 Sèvres Plates from the Service des Plantes Comestibles, 1817 and 1825
These are from a dinner service decorated with images of edible plants. It formed part of the porcelain factory director Alexandre Brongniart’s encyclopedic project of porcelain reflecting and recording historical, geographical, scientific and artistic aspects of life.
The main part of the service entered the factory sales room on 26 December 1817, and the remainder on 19 February 1825.
The service was sold on 4 June 1825 to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs “pour M. Malivoire, Vice-Consul du Roi en Egypte”.
Ten of the set have a printed mark in blue of interlaced Ls with the word Sevres and a fleur de lys. Nine have a printed mark in blue of interlaced Cs enclosing a fleur de lys and with the word Sevres and the date 25 for 1825. Two are without factory marks, various further marks are: CD in black, gilders’ dates in gold, and some two-digit numbers.