A Vincennes Soft-Paste Porcelain Vase Duplessis, circa 1750
Vase Duplessis with bleu lapis ground flecked with gilding.
This shape was probably designed by Jean-Claude Duplessis. In 1751 Orry de Fulvy, a shareholder of the factory, died with seven vases of this description in his Paris house on loan from the factory.
Simpler versions of this vase are in the Musee du Louvre, Paris, and in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Equally elaborate versions of this model are in the State Hermitage, St. Petersburg and a pair formerly in the Rothschild-Rosebery collections at Mentmore Towers now in the Minneapolis Institute of Art, USA.
On long-term loan from the collection of Adrian Sassoon (since 1996) to the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 2018-2023