This cup and saucer (gobelet Hébert et soucoupe) has the factory mark enclosing the date letter G for 1760 and the painter’s mark S for Pierre-Antoine Méreaud (active 1754-91). The pattern of trelliswork decoration was called ‘mosaïque‘ in the Sèvres manufactory’s archives. In 1760 Louis XV presented a dinner service of this pattern, painted with birds rather than flowers, to the Elector Palatine which is displayed in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum and the Residenzmuseum in Munich.
Other services were made at Sèvres with mosaïque decoration with flowers painted in all of the reserves. These were delivered in August 1761 to the Comte de Châtelet; in November 1761 to the dealer Claude Bonnet; in June 1762 to the Comte, later Duc, de Choiseul-Praslin and in December 1767 to an un-identified purchaser.
Clearly teawares were made of this pattern and some with green rather than blue triangles in the borders.